Thursday, October 31, 2013

Product review: Avene spring water spray

I'll admit ... I will fall for just about anything. If you told me this was magical water in a spray bottle that would make all your imperfections just vanish, I'd probably believe you. Probably because I want it to be true; I want a product that blows me away, that single-handedly takes care of all my skin concerns in one spritz. But that's unrealistic. So, let's just take a second to re-calibrate: This is not magic water, but it's also not just regular water in a spray can. 

This, ladies and gentlemen, is Avene Thermal Spring Water.


So, after blowing through my 1.76 oz bottle within a few weeks, spraying multiple times a day, here's what I thought.

The pro's:
  • Refreshing! That was my first impression. It felt cool and refreshing on my face. It definitely woke me up a little bit.
  • Hydrating! There are a lot of claims with Avene spring water. I had to wonder if I would really notice a difference. But it did in fact make my skin feel softer and smooth.
  • Healing! This spring water does a great job of getting rid of redness. Whether it's coming in from the cold, razor burn, using a chemical peel, a rash, or even acne, this works nicely to calm irritations and sooth the skin.
  • Sets makeup with dewy finish! I liked spritzing this over my makeup for a luminous, dewy finish. It didn't disrupt my makeup or cause any unsightly runs.

The con's:
  • It can only do so much. Avene thermal water is kind of marketed as a "super water," but it can only do so much. It's a nice water "rich in silicate and trace elements," but it's not going to clear your skin of acne, for example. It'll help calm the inflammation of it and fade redness and irritation, but it's not anti-bacterial to my knowledge.
  • Limited hydration. On Avene's website, it suggests using their thermal water on keratosis and eczema. I think this is helpful to use in addition to other treatments to combat skin conditions like these. Used alone, it is not going to get rid of patches of scaly or intensely dry skin, in my experience. Avene thermal water definitely cannot replace a moisturizer. Avene does make spring water-based moisturizers though!
  • I'd buy a bigger bottle next time. I got the travel size so I could take it for a test run, but I blew through it so quickly. It's the perfect size to take with you on vacation, but for my bathroom counter, I'd buy a bigger bottle.
Would I buy it again?
Yes I would! It's hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic. It makes skin feel refreshed, awake, soft, and even-toned. It's not magic, but it does improve your skin. I like to use it over makeup or on bare skin, and I probably spritz it about 3-4 times a day. It's kind of addicting.


If this sounds like something you'd want to try, I found some awesome discounts on Avene spring water on Amazon! Here ya go:

No comments:

Post a Comment