Wednesday, May 16, 2012

DIY: Create, customize your own BB cream!


If you've been wanting to try out BB creams, the best way is to go into your favorite beauty store and actually try them out on your skin. There are a variety of textures, shades, purposes, and benefits so it's up to you (and the beauty consultant) to pick one that suits you (post coming soon on recommendations based on skin type!). But until then, why not try making a BB cream right at home? You probably have all the products you need. BB creams generally contain coverage, SPF, primer, moisturizer, and some added benefits like anti-aging or oil control. I just mixed these products on a plate and applied to clean skin. It worked! The consistency was more creamy than my foundation but still a gorgeous, lighter coverage that felt soft on my skin. I encourage you to experiment on portions -- more foundation in the mix = more coverage, and adding more primer changes the texture. I start with a pea size of everything and a penny-size of foundation. The type of  products will change the BB cream; for example, I used Sue Devitt's gel foundation, a light aloe cream moisturizer, and a mattifying primer because I tend to be more oily. The jojoba oil mimics your skin's sebum production, so it actually tricks your skin into thinking it's already oily and doesn't need to produce more oils. Even though I'm about oil control, I still like a little glow so I added some of my Dr. Brandt Glow Retinol that has a subtle shimmer to it. Start with your favorite products, combine, and experiement a little! It's fun to create an at-home beauty balm!

No comments:

Post a Comment